There is nothing better than a nice big bowl of hot soup. Warm, filling and delicious. My comfort food.
More specifically – I love chicken noodle soup, and so does the hubs.
Here is my recipe for an easy, veggie filled, slow cooker chicken noodle soup.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped – save greens from 2 stalks
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chopped dill
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups wide egg noodles
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of your 6 quart or larger slow cooker and top with olive oil.
- Add carrots, chopped celery, celery greens, onion, garlic, thyme, dill and bay leaves.
- Pour in chicken broth and water.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and use two forks to shred. Add back in to the slow cooker.
- Add in noodles and parsley.
- Cover and cook until noodles are tender (about 8 minutes).
Let the soup cool completely before refrigerating in covered bowl or pot.